Male Infertility: Whether to visit a Sexologist or an Infertility Specialist?

It is a wide known belief that a Sexologist is the same as an Infertility Doctor, or there exists no difference between the two. Many men believe that having an Erectile Dysfunction means that they are Infertile.

However, there is a wide difference between the two. Erectile Dysfunction refers to the inability of the man to achieve an erection or maintain it. Infertility, on the other hand, refers to the inability of the man to produce or release sperm.

People are often confused between when to visit a Sexologist and when to visit a fertility doctor because they don’t know which issue is mean to be solved by whom.


To help you out with this, we have listed down for you some issues and have explained whether you should visit a Sexologist or Fertility Doctor for it:


  1. Desire Disorders:

Sexual desire disorder is a psychiatric condition that involves a lack of desire for sexual activities for a prolonged period of time. Desire disorders are classified under sexual problems and require treatment by a qualified Sexologist.


  1. Problems in conception:

For all problems related to conception, you need to visit a fertility doctor when:

  • You are under 35 and the couple has not been able to conceive for 12 months or more
  • You are under 40 and the couple has not been able to conceive for 6 months or more
  • You are over 40 and the couple hasn’t been able to conceive yet


  1. Arousal Disorder:

A disorder that consists of lack or absence of sexual fantasies and desires in such situations that would normally lead to sexual arousal or inability to maintain such arousals.

For issues related to arousal, a man should particularly visit a sexologist.


  1. Thyroid:

If you know you have thyroid issues and haven’t been able to conceive yet, it is advisable for you to check with a fertility specialist since thyroid does have an impact on your fertility.


  1. Pain Disorder:

A Pain Disorder is the one in which the male experiences pain and discomfort during sexual intercourse. For such situations, a man should visit a sexologist.


  1. Low Sperm Count:

If a male is known to have less amount of sperm in his semen, it is an infertility issue and the male should visit an infertility specialist.


  1. ‘Climax’ problems:

If a male is unable to achieve ‘climax’ or if there is a delay or absence of it, there is a need to visit a sexologist.


  1. Premature Ejaculation:

When a male is unable to hold his ejaculation for at least 30 seconds following penetration, it might be a problem of premature ejaculation and has to be solved by an infertility specialist.



Have more questions? Call Women Hopes at +91 8800464829 or submit your details on our website for guidance and consultations.

Get Free Consultation Now

*Note: Women Hopes doesn't charge anything for its Services to its patients and all our services are FREE and Transparent. *T&C Apply